Tuesday, August 16, 2005

For the Love of Cod

Fish is one of my favourite seafood I could never get enough of. However, I am choosy of the type of fish I order or cook. I love the oily fish most!! My favourites are Cod, Salmon, Tuna (belly is the best!) and occasionally a Red Snapper. If cooking fish chinese style, I love the White Promfret, Sea Bass and Rainbow fish. There is one pet peeve i have about cooking fish. I hate it when fish is deep fried. Unless done in a super hot wok with boiling hot oil AND eaten straight away, the fish's texture and taste is all killed in the frying process. Two of my favourite ways of cooking fish, steamed and Pan-seared.

Today I had a craving for Cod for lunch. I looked into the fridge and grabbed whatever there was and decided on this simple but tasty recipe.




Pan-Fried Cod with Pesto Cream sauce served on Sweet Potato Mash

Ingredients:

2 pieces Cod fillets; marinated in sea salt and ground pepper
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1 spring parsley, chopped
Pesto
cream
lemon juice
3 pc Australian Sweet potato
butter
olive oil
salt & pepper

Method:

Pan-fry cod for about 3min each side or till golden brown.
Wash and skin sweet potato and cut them into medium sized pieces and then boil in water till its soft.
Mash the sweet potato in a bowl and add about 1/2 tbsp of butter and 1 tbsp of cream and mix evenly. Salt & ground pepper to taste.
To make the sauce, in the same pan the cod was being pan-fried, add in chopped onions and fry till its slightly brown.
Add in 1tsp of pesto and 1/2tbsp lemon juice. Mix well.
Finally, stir in 1tbsp of cream and allow it to simmer gently for about 2min.
Serve the sweet potato in the center of the plate, place cod over the mash and drizzle it with the pesto cream sauce.

Because this is my own little recipe i created in my head, i was mildly surprised at the taste of the meal. I found the combination of the tangy taste to the sauce (from the lemon) and the sweetness from the sweet potato mash complemented each other very well! The natural taste of the cod as well...awesome!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Singlegirl said...

WOW. I am beyond impressed. I love people who can not only cook, but enjoy it. I love food, and my one wish is to find a man who loves food as much as I do. I am not that innovative in the kitchen so I rely on reciepies a lot. I am new to this and if I knew how to bookmark you I would...

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:06 AM  
Blogger Skrat said...

Hi singlegirl,

thanks for the lovely compliment! I was never a cook myself, but its through trail & error do we learn best. Finding a man in the kitchen....yeah agree its kinda tough. I always believe that recipes are a guide, after once or twice trying the recipe, you can confidently adjust it to your preference. Bookmarking? Simply go to your internet toolbars at the top (while in your desired webpage to bookmark), click on Favourites and click "Add Favourites" and the page will be saved under your Favourites. Good luck!

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried your recipe tonight, it was absolutely gorgeous. My girlfriend - who insists 'I only eat breaded cod' tried pan fried cod for the first time and guess what??!! We're having it on Saturday when some friends come round for dinner. Thanks, it was so nice......

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home