Friday, August 26, 2005

My very first Cookbook

Strange as it sounds but i still have my very first self-made cookbook from Secondary 4. One of the few subjects that always brings a smile to my face when i think about school. Those were the days when i had to wear a white apron (we were forced to sew our own names on the apron) and be cooking in a very old kitchen in school. The home economics classes were always the last lesson of the day and that was ideal as some of us who had to do washing & cleaning up usually were wet and smelled of either cooking oil from frying or of flour and butter deposits from rubbing butter and flour!

There it is, amidst the few cookbooks i have in my collection.

It is looking really tattered and yellow.....it has been too many years ago. I had a few favourite recipes within, but i remember cooking Braised Chicken Chops for my exam and because it was marinated with some honey, it was a pain to pan-fry as it used to splattered all over my arm and burn easily if the pan was too hot. Not a recipe i would recommend to anyone right now though.


Yes, all painfully handwritten (in my then worse handwriting) and had to be submitted to my teacher for marking to ensure we prepared before each lesson. Being in an all-girls school before, we only had 2 options; sewing or cooking for Home Economics.....I was absolutely hopeless in sewing as i wasn't born with nimble fingers and drawing capabilities. Cooking it is then. I am sure glad I had those years of training in school, I know my mother is more than glad as she can skip teaching me basics in the kitchen.

5 Comments:

Blogger J said...

hiya, i always enjoyed the cooking part of home economics, but detested the sewing...you have a lovely blog, btw; thanks for dropping by and giving me the opportunity to discover yours! cheers,j

9:30 AM  
Blogger Skrat said...

Hi J, thanks for stopping by too! I actually check out your blog almost every day just to see what's new and to get inspired by your beautifully shot pictures. You are a truly talented writer!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Lorraine said...

hiya!
Remember our teacher Diana Saw (DINASOAR)?!?! She had dirty black fingernails and we always feared she would knead into our doughs and force us to try our cooking after..:S
HAHAHAHAH!! LOL!
Thanks for the memories darl!
Loz :o)

4:23 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hi,
I love your photos. They are just beautiful. I'm drooling!!!

I guess it's time to leave peaches alone and try out some of those fabulous pear recipes.

Thanks for stopping by my site and letting me know you did. I'd never have found yours otherwise.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Skrat said...

Hi ruth,
thanks for your kind compliments. I hope to improve on my skills and post more interesting recipes to share! :)

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home