Sunday, September 04, 2005

Wholesome Food: Risotto



I love Italian food! What do i like about it......gee where do i start. Perhaps its my innate love for carbohydrates (despite what it does to my waistline), combined with my weakness for cheese and salty food....it is a cuisine i cannot see myself ever disliking.

Since University days, i have cooked pasta to death. To me, pasta is my definition of "fast-food", simple, easy and wholesome, an "All-in-one meal". The strangest thing is, i have never tried cooking a Risotto. As i was explaining to my buddy Deetour chick, it is probably because of how the italians cook their risotto, to me its usually too rich and creamy for me to finish the entire plate, thus, i avoid risotto in general. But it does not stop me from attempting a risotto of my own. I adapted my recipe from Delia Smith. I was salivating when i first read that recipe and told myself i HAD to give it a shot!

Tiger Prawns Risotto with Prawn Stock

Ingredients:

6 tiger prawns; peeled leaving tail, de-veined
175g Arborio Rice
780g lobster bisque (i couldnt find lobster bisque, i chanced upon a jewel in Deetour chick's fridge; Home-made Prawn Stock!)
40g butter
75ml sherry
50g Gruyere cheese; i didnt have that, i substitued it with good-old Parmesan cheese, shredded
2 tbsp whipping cream
sea salt & black pepper

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 150 degrees C; place baking dish in oven to warm
in a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, saute onions for 7-8min until soft.
Stir in rice into the buttery juices so that it gets a good coating then pour in the prawn stock and sherry and bring it to simmering point. Season with 1 tsp sea salt and ground black pepper.
Pour in whole lot into the baking dish that has been warming in the oven and return to the oven uncovered for 35min.
After 35mins, remove dish from oven and change settings to grill on the highest setting.
Taste the risotto to check on seasoning then drizzle cream over, place prawns on top and sprinkle shredded cheese over.
Place the dish under the grill for 2 mins or until cheese is brown and bubbling.
Serve immediately.

Risotto: Fresh out of the oven!!


Here i served it with Deetour chick's wondefully yummy Baby Spinach Salad with Tomato & Olive Pesto and Red Pesto. The recipe can be found on our group blog, Dias Deliciosos.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

Wow, I know what you mean..college days=pasta days. Even for me now being 5 years out of college I still find it the quickest laziness/hunger fix. I haven't tried risotto because I'm so scared I'm going to screw up some wonderful recipe. Do you think this one is more on the advanced side? or novice side? It's so hard to make it right, any tips?

6:41 AM  
Blogger Skrat said...

Hi mona,
i think this recipe is a very simple one as its a bake, you dont have to stand at the stove and babysit it the entire time. Its really simple. However, the trick to a good risotto i learnt is TLC...standing there, stirring constantly and being careful in not adding too much stock to make sure its al dente. Try it...the recipe is yummy, make sure you use good quality stock, makers a huge difference! :)

12:13 PM  
Blogger Mona said...

Thanks for the advice, will let you know how it turns out!

11:35 PM  
Blogger J said...

hi, that looks so utterly delectable! the gratineed cheese bit is pure genius...

3:17 AM  
Blogger Skrat said...

Hi J,
thanks for your kindest compliments and for stopping by! I have to say, i enjoyed the cheesy bits the most...very addictive indeed.

3:40 AM  
Blogger Ciber said...

I've been following your blog for quite a while and enjoying your wealth of good recipes. When Foodista announced that they are going to publish the best food blogs in a full color book that will be published by Andrews McMeel Publishing Fall 2010, I naturally thought of you. This recipe would be a good submission! You can enter here: http://www.foodista.com/blogbook/submit

Cheers,
Melissa

melissa@foodista.com
Editor and Community Developer
Foodista.com -- The Cooking Encyclopedia Everyone Can Edit

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home